As we continue through February (AKA American Heart Month) we are reminded that taking care of your heart is one of the most important things you can do for your body. Your heart is a muscle that you must train like any other and cardio is a great way to strengthen your heart! There are so many great reasons to include cardio into your exercise routine, but especially so when it comes to improving your heart health.
Here are just a few reasons why cardio is good for the heart:
- Cardio can help to lower blood pressure, reducing strain on the heart.
- Cardio also increases good HDL cholesterol that transports fat away from your arteries and back to your liver for processing.
- Cardio may also reduce levels of bad LDL cholesterol that can form fatty deposits in the arteries and contribute to heart disease.
- In addition, cardio is an efficient calorie burning mode of exercise which can contribute to weight loss.
Okay, so maybe you know all the great benefits of cardiovascular exercise for your heart health, but you just plain hate doing it! Trust me, I get it! Sometimes thirty minutes on a treadmill can feel like an eternity. But, maybe… just maybe, this Heart Awareness Month, you can just TRY something a little more fun for your cardio – like jumping rope or trying a new group exercise class?
Luckily here at Dedham Health, we offer a variety of great Group Fitness classes that are perfect for you to incorporate cardio into your regular exercise routine. Trail Mix, Zumba, Aqua Fit, Cycling, Knockout, Piloxing and many other Group Fitness classes all offer highly motivating, energetic, and fun cardio workouts that will make that minutes fly by! All you have to do is show up and be ready for a great workout. Our certified instructors and degreed exercise physiologists will help make the workout work for you, no matter your level. It is Heart Awareness Month after all! Try something fun to help your heart stay HEALTHY!
– Jason L., Exercise Physiologist at Dedham Health