Are you stuck in a rut with your workouts? Getting bored, feeling unmotivated or just plain lazy? Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. This is where group fitness comes in to play! I know, I know… you probably think that as the new Group Fitness Director here at DHAC, I HAVE to say that. But hear me out… now many of you probably don’t know this, but when I first started here 6.5 yrs ago, I flat out REFUSED to ever teach a group fitness class due to crippling stage fright (that lasted all of 8 months). I mean sweating, crying and hyperventilating kind of stage fright, I even had my best friend come up and hold my hand while I sobbed through a school presentation.
So what changed? Well for starters, one of our employees left and we needed someone to cover that class-Saturday morning water aerobics! Fast forward 6 yrs, and I now teach 6, 9, sometimes even 12 group fitness classes a week… and I love it! There is no better feeling than standing in front of a group of some of my favorite people and making them sweat. So what’s in it for you? Here is a list of just SOME of the benefits of taking a group fitness class!
- No need to think! Yes this can be a good thing! Not sure what to do at the gym or getting bored of your routine? When you take a group fitness class, the instructor comes prepared with a workout for you! You may learn some new exercises or try some more challenging moves you wouldn’t normally do on your own.
- Competitive edge: If you’re like me and began your exercise journey with athletics, then you’re probably slightly competitive (just a bit). Whether its competing against yourself or a friend, group classes give you a chance to constantly better yourself and compare your performance each week
- Team camaraderie: The participants, as well as the instructors, are super supportive of you and your success! You don’t know how often I hear my class participants ask other members where they’ve been or if I’ve seen a particular someone recently. It’s great to have someone cheering you on and holding you accountable!
- It’s FUN!!! Whether you’re shaking your thang in Zumba or spinning your wheels in cycling, with great upbeat music and (hopefully) a fantastic instructor, you’re bound to have a good time. Who wouldn’t want to have fun while exercising?!
- Proper Guidance: Take advantage of having an instructor with you! They are there not only there to tell you what exercises to do, but to make sure you are doing them correctly! Inform your instructor of any injuries or limitations prior to class and they can guide you through some modifications before or during your workout.
– Brittanie M, Group Fitness Director at DHAC