Have you ever wondered what about the colorful tape that athletes wear all over their body?! They are using a type of Kinesiology Therapeutic tape, or KT tape. This tape is a strong, elastic adhesive tape used for support and pain relief in the joints, muscles and tendons. Stephanie, from our PT department, explains the benefits of KT tape, so you can avoid common injuries:
- Pain Relief: Reduces swelling which provides immediate pain relief.
- Reduces swelling & inflammation: reduces pressure & allows better removal of fluids.
- Prevents and/or relieves spasms and cramping in overused or injured muscles.
- Faster recovery of overused muscles: Fatigued muscles contain by-products of exercise such as Lactic acid, that limit the ability to continue exercising.
- Provides support without restricting Range of Motion.
- Allows Athletes to remain active while injured: KT tape can prevent over-stretching or over-contraction of injured muscles.
- Enhances strength & muscle tone in weak or poorly toned muscles: Certain injuries can make muscles so weak that it is impossible to do exercises that are critical to improve daily functioning. KT Tape not only supports these muscles , but can also improve muscle activation, allowing therapeutic exercises to be done more effectively.
When correctly applied, KT tape can provide a safe, medication free option to prevent & treat hundreds of common muscle & joint related injuries. Physical Therapists are trained to apply the tape in an effective & safe manner!
Brought to you by Stephanie S. PT, CSCS
PT at Dedham Health