By Nicole Bassett
DHAC Kids Staff
Teary goodbyes in Downtown can be hard on both you and your child! It’s natural for your child to feel anxious when saying goodbye. Crying and clinginess are healthy reactions to separation between the ages of six months and four years. The staff in Downtown are all used to handling separation anxiety. Here are a few tips on making it easier for you and your young child!
- Start with short visits then gradually make your visits longer.
- Make sure your child is well rested and has a full belly.
- Bring a binky, bottle, or toy from home.
- Make sure your visits are consistent.
- Drop and go! Sticking around will make the goodbye harder on the child.
- Reassure your child that he or she will be just fine.
- Try not to give in!