By Sarah Galante
Group Fitness Director
Enrolling your child Karate is a great way to allow them to learn such things are discipline, hand eye coordination, body awareness, confidence and self defense. In Kempo Karate we use five animals to teach the children different traits they need to posses in Karate class as well as everyday life.
- Tiger- teaches; Strength, and Tenacity. Never give up!
- Dragon – teaches; Ride the Wind, Fighting Spirit, Fluency, and Wisdom
- Leopard – teaches; Speed and Power
- Crane – teaches; Balance and Gracefulness
- Snake – teaches; rhythmic endurance, and Flexibility
We teach the students these animals day one of their Karate journey to remind them to be like their “favorite animal”. One of my favorite stories is when a student of mine was frustrated one day with a task he had been given. His younger brother, who took karate with him, told him to be like the tiger and have Tenacity! The karate mom overheard her young son, four at the time, say this adult word in the correct context and thought it was wonderful. It makes me very happy to hear that a karate brother was helping his other karate brother through a sticky time with something he had learned in karate class. PRICELESS.