By Diana Breault
DHAC Weight Loss Motivator
Wondering how you can amp up your stamina and attain your peak workout performance? Look at your plate. A well-balanced diet, including nutritious foods, is your starting point for achieving optimal performance. Eating right will allow your body to train to its fullest potential and also help any overworked muscles recover.
You need to master a nutrient-rich diet including carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and plenty of water before beginning an intense routine. It takes plenty of time and trial and error before you fully understand what your body needs to benefit from a proper diet.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Eat a large meal about 4 hours before exercise; have a small piece of fruit if you need to before you workout.
- Carbs are your friend. Eat plenty to keep up your energy.
- Consume healthy portions of lean protein and eat fat in moderation.
- Drink plenty of water while exercising.
- If you’re working out at a high intensity, be sure to replace your electrolytes with a sports drink to break fatigue.
- Consume adequate amounts of protein post-workout to aid in muscle repair.
- Keep hydrating post-exercise.
- Replenish your carbohydrates and electrolytes by eating a turkey sandwich with vegetables, a glass of chocolate milk, or some peanut butter and whole wheat crackers.
Be sure to eat something within the hour of your post-workout routine. Your metabolism is at its peak at that moment and it’s a wise idea to take advantage of this. Eating a small meal or snack after your work out will spike up your energy levels, without leaving you sluggish.
Eating right will allow you to get the most out of your workout, as well as giving you the results you want!