DHAC Exercise Physiologist
It’s sunny, warm and beautiful outside. Summer is in full swing! These few months are prime time for vacations and trips with families and friends. Taking those few days or weeks off from work are great for reducing stress levels and spending time with our loved ones.
What we often forget is that these trips usually include eating LOTS of food, drinking high calorie drinks, and general laziness for days on end. Exercise is typically last on the list of things to do. But, this does not have to be the case; there are plenty of ways and opportunities to keep active over your vacation – you just have to look for them!
Most resorts and hotels have some sort of gym or a fitness center within the facility so take a half hour first thing in the morning and get a quick workout in!
For those of you that would prefer to be outside all day, here are a few ideas for staying active outdoors:
- Go for a hike or walk with your kids, dogs, or friends and explore your surroundings.
- Get a fun game going, it can be anything! i.e. volleyball, baseball/softball, basketball, badminton, frisbee, football, red rover (remember that game?)
- SWIM! This one is probably the easiest considering that everywhere you go on vacation there is a pool, beach, river or lake! Swim with your kids, swim on your own, play a game (again, old school marco polo!)
- Rent a kayak or canoe for a few hours, rowing is a great upper body workout!
- Go for a bike ride! Many vacation spots offer bike rentals as alternative modes of transportation.
Staying active during your vacation will have many benefits. Not only will you maintain your current level of fitness, you’ll be working off some of the extra calories you’ll be taking in! All of these options are also a great way to create memories, see and experience new places, have fun, and bond with your friends and family.
What’s your favorite vacation fitness tip?