By Robbie Goldman, M.S.
DHAC Exercise Physiologist
The sun is out and the weather is HOT. It’s the perfect time for you to try out a spin class! The lights are dim, and the a/c is frosty, and the calories are melting away!
Spin is an intense cardiovascular workout on our stationary “Livestrong” bikes. It is easy to follow and designed for all intensity levels. Your spin instructor will lead the class up and down the hills on a fun yet challenging bike ride. Participants have complete control over how fast or how hard they chose to pedal. The instructor is there to motivate and inspire participants to reach new personal fitness goals.
Spin participants come in all ages, shapes, and sizes. The stationary spin bike offers a great cardiovascular workout without the orthopedic stress on the feet, knees, and back. Here at Dedham Health we are always excited to have new participants join our class. So when the weather is HOT and you’re feeling stuck in a summer exercise slump. Give spin a try. This week could be your chance to climb higher up that hill and reach new levels of health and fitness.
Still need more convincing??? Here is a list of Health and Fitness benefits you can gain from Spin Class.
- Burning Calories—Just a 30-minute workout can burn up to 500 calories, while longer workouts can burn between 800 and 1,000 calories.
- Cardiovascular Health—Spinning has an anaerobic component and will build up muscular endurance over time. It also includes aerobic benefits with endurance and cardiovascular training. It helps heart health and lung capacity.
- Shapely Legs—The exercise builds large muscle groups in the legs, as thighs, hamstrings and calves can take shape.
- Mental Strength—Spinning brings self-discipline in pushing forward and completing the workout.
- Ab Workout—Abdominal muscles get a workout through proper posture and technique. There is also an upper body rhythm that comes from a slightly bent position and working side to side in the training.
We offer classes in the early mornings at 6am, mid mornings at 9am, and evenings after work at 6pm and 630pm. We have weekend morning classes as well. Check the Group Fitness For All Schedule for exact days and times. For those new to spin start with the 30 Minute Spin class or speak with the spin instructor about making modifications to the 60 Minute Spin class.